Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Review for Canabalt

I have done a review for the game Canabalt by AdamAtomic. I'm going to break down the good and the bad of this game. So here we are with my review of Canabalt.
Gameplay: 4.5/5 This is the kind of game where you can spend 2 or 3 hours playing it and not get bored. The game is random every time, so you'll never know what to expect. The concept of the game is very simple, but this is not at all a bad thing. The only thing you have to do in this game is jump and try to avoid objects laying about. As you go longer not hitting the objects, you gain speed. Gaining too much speed is a bad thing, though. One of the only things I didn't like about this game is that windows spawn below you quite often, so it is impossible to break through them. I also didn't like the controls. To jump you have to press X or C. Those are the weirdest choices for buttons ever. Alternatively, you can use the spacebar, but obviously X and C were meant to be used.
Graphics: 4/5 The artwork in this game is very simple, yet very appealing. I never thought I would enjoy seeing so many colorless pixels. I like how the color scheme of greys and blacks sort of describes the mood of the game.
Difficulty: 3/5 I don't really know what to say about the difficulty, because it's really a luck-based game. You never know when there will be a window that's too low, and you never know when you should slow down or not.
Sounds: 5/5 The sounds in this game are fantastic. You can hear everything from the breaking of glass, destructions of buildings, and even simply birds flying away. There's too many different types of sounds to name them all. Good music helps out a bit also.
Replayability: 5/5 You never know what will happen next when you play this game. Windows and giant bombs spawn randomly everywhere when you don't expect them. This is a really good game for playing over and over again and still have lots of fun with it.
Overall: 4.5/5 Canabalt is an all-round great game. There's just something missing to it, though I don't know what. This game isn't good enough for a 5/5, but it's definately better than 4/5. If you havn't played this game yet, I highly reccomend that you do so.

5 comments:

blugo said...

Really great review, Zebra. My only comment on it is that I disagree with some of your ratings. Just keep in mind that the area of review needs to be absolutely flawless for you to give it a full 5/5. We hardly ever get games like that, and this is the first to get two 5/5's in one review. Just keep in mind that there's always something you could find wrong with a game.

AbusedZebra said...

Thanks. I'll keep that in mind.

NUKE said...

I didn´t like the review. You say that the game is luck based, but it seems to me that is you that can´t find a strategy for the game. If you keep your speed slow (not THAT slow) you can pretty much see the window comming and do a small jump before the roof ends, so you´re already falling when the window arrives and you can pass it. Doing this I made 8k and allways die by a bomb, not by windows. You just need to play it the right way to see that it´s not ONLY luck based.

blugo said...

NUKE is right. I didn't even notice that he said it's all luck based....

If anything, this game is random at the most. Randomness doesn't always make it luck-based.

AbusedZebra said...

Meh. Sorry, I guess I just kind of worded it wrong.